Back Market revolutionizes the way people buy tech devices. We think it's time to offer a strong and mainstream alternative to new products by making used devices more appealing to potential customers and making them accessible as a strong alternate option.
About Back Market:
Freeing the planet from electronic waste, leading the shift towards a circular economy, and building a billion-dollar tech company are three solid reasons to wake up in the morning.
Founded five years ago in Paris, Back Market is the world's first online marketplace dedicated exclusively to second-hand devices. Similar to how Airbnb aggregates homeowners and travelers on one trusted platform to draw economic value from a previously underutilized asset — vacant living spaces — Back Market connects certified professionals specializing in the refurbishing and resale of used electronics with consumers looking for a more affordable, reliable, and environmentally-friendly alternative to buying new.
The annual global market for second-hand devices is estimated at roughly $80 billion, yet people spend up to $1.2 trillion on new devices every year. This indicates enormous untapped potential for the refurbishing industry. Back Market is laser-focused on unlocking that potential. Our mission is to make refurbished mainstream — something that appeals to the masses. In our ideal state, consumers should no longer have any factual reason to buy new instead of refurbished.
Today, Back Market is present in seven European countries: France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Austria, and the UK, with plans to open many more in the coming year. We launched in the U.S. in 2018; the growth of our American platform has significantly outpaced the growth of any other market. Based in Brooklyn, New York, our team is working tirelessly to scale the U.S. business (facing competition from Amazon and eBay) and transform Back Market into a unicorn. For this reason, we're looking for young, talented, and ambitious candidates to join us as we catalyze the refurbished revolution together!
About the Opportunity:
The Business Development team is in charge of growing our vendors’ products and sales on the platform. We do this by onboarding new sellers as well as increasing the business of existing sellers.
As an Account Manager / Sales Operations team member, your #1 goal will be to build and scale Back Market’s "scaled" account management approach for our small- to medium-sized accounts. Today, there are roughly 100 sellers on the US platform that fall into this category; however, this number is growing rapidly and is expected to reach 150 by the end of 2020 and 300 by the end of 2021. You will be responsible for managing these sellers (i.e., responding to their daily issues) and monitoring their performance. More specifically, you will be expected to: implement the processes and tools necessary to optimize and automate outbound communications; create KPIs to track seller performance at scale; leverage data analysis to identify underperforming accounts; implement targeted action plans to re-engage underperformers and reduce overall churn.
The role will also require you to manage and improve our merchant listing service. You will own the relationship with our service provider in India (overseeing their day-to-day work), create KPIs to track the success of the service, design trainings to improve accuracy and reduce the error rate, and collaborate with the Catalog team in Paris to resolve mismatching issues when they arise.
- Implement processes and tools to build and grow our "scaled" account management approach for small- to medium-sized accounts (leveraging our CRM tool, Zendesk)
- Design a proactive communication strategy to maximize seller engagement and reduce churn
- Respond to sellers’ daily requests and resolve their issues through Zendesk
- Utilize analytical tools and leverage data to proactively identify unhealthy or at-risk accounts
- Create action plans to rescue underperforming accounts
- Manage the relationship with our service provider in India, including overseeing their day-to-day work
- Implement KPIs to track the success of our listing service
- Design trainings to improve the accuracy of the work and reduce the error rate
- Work cross-functionally with the Catalog and Business Intelligence teams in Paris
Qualities (we’re looking for):
- Organization and attention to detail. You are actually bothered by sloppiness, and you get the significance of the following quote: "simplicity... comes from conquering complexities, not ignoring them."
- Analytical, problem-solving mindset. You have a knack for breaking down complexity into its fundamental building blocks. You know how to ask the right questions and listen proactively, and you have an instinct to frame every hurdle or pain point as an exciting opportunity to find a creative and constructive solution.
- Ability to execute and be resourceful. It's important to have ideas, but are you able to translate them into reality?
- Effective communication skills. Can you explain Back Market to a third grader? In other words, can you explain a complicated concept to an audience that has absolutely no context or technical expertise on the subject?
- Entrepreneurial itch. You have a passion for building stuff. You are incredibly ambitious about your career and obsessed with scaling a company from zero to one. You bring energy and excellence to everything you do — you literally don't know how to not give 110%.
- Persuasiveness and persistence. You never take "no" for an answer — if you miss a flight, are you going to turn around and go home, or are you going to find a seat on the next plane, even when you've been told there are no seats.
- Team player. Do you feel genuine happiness for others' successes, especially when they have absolutely no benefit to you?
- Curiosity. You have an insatiable appetite for exploring the world and learning new things. Like a sponge, you want to absorb the whole universe — nothing is boring to you. You find fascination even in the most mundane things.
- Conviction. You have the courage and self-assurance to stand by an idea, particularly when others are doubting you. You'd rather stick by your beliefs than be liked.
- Intellectual honesty, humility, and self-awareness. You have the intelligence and professional maturity to recognize when you are wrong and change your opinion on something.
- Passion for tech, entrepreneurship, and/or the environment. You spend your free time learning about at least one of these three subjects!