Brilliant Earth is one of the fastest growing e-commerce jewelers in the world, and the leader in ethical origin fine jewelry.
Responsible Sourcing and Compliance Associate – Remote
Brilliant Earth is one of the fastest growing e-commerce jewelers in the world, and a global leader in ethically sourced fine jewelry. Founded in 2005, we have been featured in Time, The Knot, Forbes, and Refinery29, among many other media outlets. We are a group of dedicated team members with a common goal of creating a more sustainable, transparent, and compassionate jewelry industry.
We are searching for bright and passionate people who are excited to make an impact from day one and grow with the company to take on greater responsibility over time. We are hard-working team players that welcome challenges and rise to any occasion. Our community of collaboration, respect and encouragement is fostered by frequent team events, cross-departmental meetings and celebrating our wins, big and small. Brilliant Earth team members bring a top-notch attitude and a willingness to help each other grow.
Brilliant Earth’s Responsible Sourcing and Sustainability team is responsible for vendor compliance and ensuring adherence our to responsible sourcing standards, the Brilliant Earth Supplier Code of Conduct, Chain Custody Protocol, and maintaining our Responsible Jewelry Council certification. This includes: traceability, factory labor compliance, sustainability and the Brilliant Earth Foundation give back programs.
We are searching for a Responsible Sourcing and Compliance Associate, who will focus primarily on social and labor compliance, while also assisting with responsible sourcing/compliance and sustainability efforts. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in social auditing or CAP closures, familiarity with various supply chains and sourcing models, and possesses skills in building diplomatic relationships with vendor/factory partners. We operate in a multicultural, fast-paced and high-growth environment and maintain a social and environmental mission at the core of our company. We are searching for someone who can be effective with in this environment and who is enthusiastic about helping us achieve our mission goals, as well as our business goals.
Your main responsibilities will be focused on Social/Labor Compliance:
- Work with Head of Responsible Sourcing and Sustainability and vendors/factories to assess violations/non-compliances and observations on audit reports, work with factories to develop a corrective action plan and remediate, and verify the effectiveness and timeliness of CAPs
- Maintain the vendor/factory matrix, keeping track of social compliance status, CAP closures, and managing audit renewal dates
- Ensure that new factories are onboarded in accordance with specific required social, labor, and environmental regulations
- Engage with Sourcing and Production teams to address factory corrective action plans with vendors and factories
- Understand current risks within the supply chain (materiality, geographic location, industry) and provide guidance and create processes around how to mitigate the risk
- Drive continuous improvement at the factory level by assessing non-compliance trends and making recommendations for the factory base
- Develop and publish periodic reporting for internal stakeholders regarding factory assessments and corrective action activities
- Collaboratively develop goals, objectives, and targets for driving more sustainable facilities
- Research and analyze industry data to support the development of strategy, policies, and programs.
Responsible Sourcing and Compliance:
- Review vendors’ sourcing models to confirm if they compliant with Company standards
- Coordinate with Company employees, vendors and partners to communicate Company compliance requirements, to request necessary documentation, ensure that documentation is received in a timely fashion, and to answer questions regarding company compliance requirements
- Maintain up-to-date records of vendor compliance documents on file, including document versions, deadlines for document completion and renewal, follow-up actions required
- Assist in developing processes to monitor, track ongoing progress against Company’s overall ESG goals related to environment and sustainability
- Broad knowledge of ESG in a business context including ESG reporting, life cycle assessment, Science Based Targets
- Assist in developing annual ESG reporting contents to SASB framework
- Develop processes, tools and resources to monitor, track ongoing progress against the company's overall ESG goals related to environmental and sustainability.
- Prepare training materials and SOPs as needed.
You’re a great fit if you have:
- 3-5 years of professional work experience in social compliance audit or desktop review of corrective action plan closures
- Ability to conceptualize and explain the flow of materials and goods through a supply chain
- Ability to recall and organize information related to the vendor base, such as: number of offices/factories per vendor and their various locations, vendor sourcing models, and factory capabilities
- Knowledge of social/labor and environmental challenges and solutions in a variety of manufacturing sites
- Working knowledge of 3rd Party auditing firms and report types, and exposure to Brand factory compliance requirements (I.e. understanding of audit protocol standards at brands such as Disney, Walmart, Costco etc.)
- High ethical standards and ability to remain objective and professional in challenging situations
- Ability to organize, prioritize work, and multitask to complete projects per deadlines, and do this autonomously with minimal supervision
- Robust research skills and ability to analyze social compliance data and trends across the factory base and industry
- Experience working in a fast-paced, rapidly growing organization
- Flexible availability for international calls outside of normal office hours
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills for internal and external audiences.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- BA degree or equivalent, preferred
The targeted budget for this position is 65k base salary. This compensation budget range may be adjusted at any time at the discretion of the company.
Brilliant Earth offers a competitive, robust benefits package. As a full-time Brilliant Earth employee, you can choose to enroll in medical, dental and vision insurance plans, 401(k) plan with matching contribution, and commuter benefits. We offer paid parental leave, open paid time off, and an employee discount on our products. Employees of Brilliant Earth have access to an Employee Assistance Program which includes mental health counseling, and can participate in regular wellness events led by the culture team.
Brilliant Earth recognizes the value of diversity and inclusion on our team, as we work together to reinvent fine jewelry in a thoughtful and modern way. At Brilliant Earth, we celebrate each other – our successes, the lessons along the way, and the unique perspectives each individual brings to our team. It is our intent to maintain a work environment and hiring process which is free of harassment or discrimination because of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal, State or local laws. We are committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations.