We make quality kitchen tools that are affordable and approachable.
As Head of People you will be responsible for helping to find, develop, motivate and retain the team at Misen. You will act as the advocate for the company culture and will support the growth of the team, while being responsible for all human resources related activities.
We want to ensure Misen continues to be a great place to work as the company grows its team rapidly both remotely and locally in Brooklyn, NY. We think our team is exceptional and deserves the best work environment and support. As Head of People you will be responsible for helping us build and support our team and will need to be able to build a People Operations team as the company scales and grows, ensuring that all team members understand how people decisions get made. As Head of People you will partner with areas of the company to help our team build and support their departments. This will involve driving recruitment of the best talent, coaching on team leadership, helping to resolve employee relations issues and managing programs that help develop staff.
What You'll Do:
- Working with executive team and team leaders you will own all human resources related activities.
- Provide human resources support and consultation across the business on the most complex issues, supporting staff, managers and executives in all related areas including: recruitment, performance management, compensation, staff relations and people development.
- Provide leadership on people related issues and policies across the company.
- Be able to communicate at all levels in the company and to support business development and change.
- Lead and refine the performance management processes, finding what is best suited for the team and organization.
- Rebuild the onboarding and retention strategy for new and existing employees.
- Constantly be looking for better ways to support the team, fostering a trusting and exciting environment to work in.
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of HR business partner or generalist experience working in a fast paced environment. DTC startup a plus.
- Have been part of building a People Operation foundation at an early stage company that is rapidly growing.
- Building a happy, engaged and work environment where the team is inspired to continually improve and contribute is what you love to do most.
- Have been part of building the foundation for company culture, career ladder growth and learning programs that foster growth and team retention.
- Have led a team of People Operations and/or Recruiters.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to create and implement sourcing strategies for recruitment for a variety of roles.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong familiarity with laws, regulations, and best practices applicable to hiring and recruitment.
You’ll love working at Misen because:
- We are a team of smart, interesting, diverse, funny, and loving people
- We offer competitive compensation, generous health benefits (health, vision, dental), a fun and relaxed office environment
- We take the responsibility to make sure you are excited, happy and find fulfillment in your work very seriously
- We have no limit on vacation, work from home or sick days because we understand the value of relaxation, spending time with friends and family, and seeing the world
- We love dogs and currently our “CEO” (Chief Eating Officer), Fluffnut, rules the roost...but we welcome others to join the team.
Our name comes from ‘mise en place’ — a culinary term that means “to put in place.” Chefs use the term to describe the process of setting up their stations before service. Misen is an ode to mise en place; better cooking through proper preparation with quality tools.
Our mission at Misen (www.misen.co) is to inspire and enable great cooking. For us, well-made kitchen tools are essential to that; whether it’s getting a perfect golden sear with a quality pan or beautifully slicing vegetables with a sharp knife, quality tools create better meals - and just make cooking more fun. By selling directly to consumers online and cutting out retail middlemen, we’re able to offer thoughtfully designed and premium-quality kitchen tools at honest prices.
We launched in 2015, with our Chef’s Knife raising over $1M in Kickstarter pledges. Since then, we’ve been slowly expanding our offerings for the kitchen—including stainless steel cookware and nonstick pans—and have even bigger plans for the future. Now, we’re looking for a few incredible humans to help us build the next phase of our growth.