Morty is the world's first fully digital, fully automated mortgage marketplace.
Morty is on a mission to revolutionize the outdated mortgage industry by letting people shop, compare, and close any mortgage option from any lender, completely online. Purchasing a home is the largest, most important financial transaction of most people’s lives. We believe getting a mortgage should be just as simple, modern, and transparent as buying anything else online. We’re building the first-ever, fully digital marketplace to make this possible.
Morty was founded by a diverse team of mortgage industry vets and software engineers and is supported by an incredible group of investors and advisors including Thrive Capital, Lerer Hippeau, Prudence, and Techstars who have backed companies like Oscar, Compass, Lemonade, Slack, Airbnb, Stripe, Dropbox, Casper, and Warby Parker.
Who We’re Looking For
Morty is looking for a detail oriented Accounting Specialist with a passion for finding and executing on operational efficiencies. You are excited to apply your analytic and quantitative skills to all aspects of Morty’s accounting operations, leading monthly closes and delivering accurate reports to leadership, external stakeholders and auditors.
What You’ll Do
- Lead all aspects of the day-to-day bookkeeping and accounting, including A/P and A/R management, bank collection, vendor management and payment processing.
- Support the month-end close and bookkeeping processes and other accounting tasks as needed.
- Actively maintain meticulous records of accounts and activity. Book monthly journal entries and prepare related account reconciliations.
- Analyze monthly financial performance, and report to senior management on variances versus plan and prior periods.
- Calculate commission accruals and manage compensation distribution for Sales team members.
- Partner with team leads to develop budgets and ensure accurate expense reporting. Analyze team spend for potential efficiencies and improvements.
- Partner with the Legal & Compliance team to respond to audit requests from regulatory agencies and business partners.
- Evaluate bottlenecks and inefficiencies with grace to implement better processes, leveraging technology, tools and automation.
Who You Are
- 2+ years of experience in an accounting and finance operations role
- In-depth knowledge of accounting theory and practical application of the U.S. GAAP
- Experience with accounting software (QuickBooks required, Brex & Bill.com preferred) Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, desire to learn new technology
- Excellent communication skills, and the proven ability to communicate effectively and present to peers, external stakeholders and leadership
- Ability to work independently in a remote setting while juggling multiple projects
- Interest in overall finance operations and innovative business technologies, with a no task is too small attitude
- Excellent project management skills to implement complex processes
- Enthusiasm for working in a casual startup environment
- Morty is a remote-first company. We prefer someone local to NYC for this role as occasional pick-ups from our headquarters in West SoHo are needed.
- Competitive Salary + Stock Options
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision plans through Justworks
- Parental leave of 12 weeks fully paid after six months of service
- Remote-first culture! Work from anywhere in the U.S. plus we have an office space in NYC’s West SoHo neighborhood. We’re dog friendly!
- Flexible PTO with no limit on vacation days and a recommended minimum of 15 days per year + 13 annual company-wide holidays
- One year of free online mental health therapy via Talkspace
- Access 24/7/365 to One Medical, an on-demand primary care health service
- Public transportation benefits and pre-tax plans if you choose to commute
- 401k plan through Guideline
- Up to $200 to enhance your home office
- $3,000 employee referral program
Morty is focused on building the team best suited to advance our mission to the benefit of homebuyers across the country. We recognize that work patterns have changed, and we now offer team members the option to work full- or part-time in our office in New York City or fully remotely. While each team has the flexibility to establish the work schedules and rhythms that make sense for their group, we request everyone’s working hours overlap substantially with Eastern Time so we can all stay connected.
More Jobs on Planted
New York, NY
The Neibart Group
New York, NY