Creating a more equitable society by closing the academic and career opportunity gap for motivated young people from underserved and/or underrepresented communities.
This is a full-time position based at our New York City headquarters. The position is 100% hybrid with the possibility of remote work in line with current public health and New York State guidelines.
ABOUT SEO CAREER
SEO Career is the nation’s premier professional development program for recruiting and training high-achieving undergraduates for paid summer internships that can lead to coveted, full-time jobs. SEO Career provides access to opportunity to students who have been historically excluded from industries across Wall Street and Corporate America, including Black, Latinx, and Native American undergraduates. SEO Career currently partners with over 160 organizations offering summer internships and has a track record of matching talent with opportunity. Participants receive coaching and technical training with the goal of landing a full-time job offer at the conclusion of the internship. 80% go on to land a full-time job at leading industry partners.
WHY SEO CAREER?
At SEO Career, we propel human potential. We are as committed to the development of our team as we are to the growth and development of the young people we support. We believe in putting people first by building a challenging, rewarding environment designed to foster personal achievement and professional growth.
Our employees describe our culture as supportive, innovative, and collaborative. In joining SEO Career, you will be joining an organization that is in a period of incredible growth. From 2020 to 2021, we placed 87% more student participants and served double the number of partners we serve. We expect to continue to grow in both enrollment and impact. As Career Development Advisor, you will work directly with students to help them realize their career goals. Through your day-to-day work you will have a direct impact to our student participants, our partners, and your SEO Career colleagues.
As Career Development Advisor, you join the SEO Career Programs Team in mentoring and assisting college students in the Tech track. Through a combination of individual and group consultations, you will aid students in areas for development to help them land internships with SEO partner companies and to help them grow professionally.
Mentorship (60%) Assist a cohort of students in the Tech track through the stages in the SEO Career student lifecycle. Based on needs determined by the Associate Director of F&C and Tech and the intern recruiting cycle, this could include one or a combination of the following areas:
Edge: Liaise with recruiting team and the Partner Access CDA to provide insight into the talent pipeline, assist with preparation of resumes, prepare students for the interview process, and help students confirm the track is a fit for their skills and interests
- Assist cohort of students with career development by helping them meet an “interview readiness” standard, select targeted career paths, create an impactful resume, and introduce them to roles, industries, and SEO partner companies. Meet KPI of 70% conversion / engagement
Partner Access: Assist cohort of students (who have met minimum standards for interview readiness and selected target interest areas) with career development by discussing prospective career paths, evaluating interview performance, and introducing them to roles, industries, and SEO partner companies
- Work to align talented, diverse, pre-professionals with opportunities at partner companies by engaging them in SEO Career’s partner access process and curriculum
- Liaise with the partner team to relay high potential candidates and to incorporate partner feedback into individual development conversations. Meet KPI of 90% placement rate
Success: Prepare cohort of students for their internship experience
- Provide coaching and guidance throughout the internship and position students to receive a full-time offer (hit a KPI of 80% of students receiving a full-time offer).
Training and Development (20%) Work with Associate Director of F&C and Tech to provide inputs necessary for the creation of relevant curricula, course content, and materials to the Assistant Director of Training & Development.
- Collaborate with Industry Specialists for the track to deliver coaching and guidance to cohort of students.
Data and Reporting (20%) Track interactions with participants in relevant applications to collect data to measure progress toward engagement, conversation, and offer rate goals set by SEO Career leadership.
- Create student feedback loops via surveys or other means to accurately gauge the student experience and student satisfaction throughout the entire lifecycle.
Other duties to be assigned in service of the Careers team objectives and SEO’s mission.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO SUCCEED:
- Passionate About SEO Career’s Mission: You are service-minded and dedicated to closing equity gaps. You have an authentic interest in helping students who have been historically excluded from industries across Wall Street and Corporate America launch their professional careers.
- Coaching/Mentorship: Proven ability to motivate, coach, and mentor high-achieving college students. Passionate about SEO Career’s mission and helping participants get the practical knowledge and skills they need to gain an internship offer and ultimately have a successful and enriching internship experience.
- Strong Organizational Skills: Able to multi-task and meet the needs of the Programs Team while successfully keeping participants’ needs at the forefront. Strong time management skills and willingness and ability to take on ad hoc projects as needed.
- Communication: Able to communicate in writing and orally in a manner that is understandable to a diverse audience to include candidates, current SEO Career student interns, partners, SEO Career recruitment team members, and executive team members. Must be comfortable with speaking and presenting in public.
- Critical Thinking and Flexibility: Capable of anticipating needs, employing best resources, and employing careful decision making. Able to adjust to changes and work demands quickly while maintaining a strategic and tactical vision to efficiently complete work. Ability to be both a self-starter and a team player who builds people-first relationships and prioritizes the participant experience every step of the way.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution
- Minimum 3 years of professional work experience in the tech industry (includes tech recruiting or career services supporting the tech industry); exceptions can be made for SEO alumni who have worked in tech
- Experience in mentoring / coaching
- Proficiency using career – related software
SEO offers a competitive annual salary and participation in a medical, dental and vision plan, and provides a health reimbursement plan, a retirement plan, excellent vacation, personal and sick days, along with 13 paid holidays.
In view of governmental vaccination mandates in areas we work, the pending federal vaccination mandate for large employers, as well as the guidance of the CDC that vaccination is the most effective means to provide a safe working and teaching environment, subject to applicable law, applicants who obtain a conditional job offer will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement before beginning employment with SEO.
At SEO we are committed to cultivating a workforce that embodies the backgrounds and experiences of the constituencies we serve and the communities we live in, and a workplace that reflects the impact we make in the world. Candidates from historically excluded and underrepresented communities across the spectrum of identity, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it is our commitment.
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/D/V. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.